Webinar recording: The economics of conservation
Jul 18, 2012 7:28 am MDT
On July 11, Ray Rasker of Headwaters Economics presented on overview on the link between economic growth and protected public lands, and available software and tools.
- A typology of the ways that conservation provides benefits (jobs, income, tax revenues, non-market values, value from ecosystem services
- A brief review of the literature, focusing on jobs (what has the most currency these days)
- An example: National Monuments interactive tool
- The notion that there are Three Wests, and how communities benefit from conservation depends to a large extent on their access to markets
- An interactive tool showing the Three Wests
- A quick and easy way to learn about YOUR economy -- aimed at non-economists: demonstration of the free, on-line economic profile software and several on-line interactive tools.