Steering Committee Meeting - Walla Walla, WA
The US Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region 6 is hosting this meeting of the GNLCC Steering Committee (SC). The key outcome from the meeting will be commitment of FY15 GNLCC funding. In addition, the SC will hear about forest restoration strategies and successes in nearby Great Northern geography, application of science towards shared landscape outcomes, and shared landscape mitigation opportunities.
Meeting Times and Location
- The meeting will begin at 9 AM (registration and coffee/tea at 8:30 AM) on May 6 and end approximately 1 PM on May 7.
- The meeting will be held at the Water & Environmental Center at Walla Walla Community College in Walla Walla, WA.
- Click here for a map showing the meeting and recommended lodging (see below) locations.
- A block of rooms is being held at the Marcus Whitman Historic Hotel for the government rate ($83/night) for the nights of May 5 and May 6. Reservations can be made by calling 866-826-9422 and requesting the "GNLCC" block of rooms. The block of rooms will be released on April 13.
- The meeting is located ~5 miles from the hotel. Some ride shares will be available to the meeting venue for those who do not have a rental car.
- Click here for a map showing the recommended hotel and meeting (see above) locations.
- Walla Walla has almost two dozen hotels/motels if you would like to stay elsewhere.
- Walla Walla Regional Airport can be reached via Alaska Airlines from Seattle; but PLEASE NOTE--there are only two flights per day from Seattle to Walla Walla.
- Both Tri-cities Regional Airport, Pasco, WA (1 hr drive to Walla Walla) and Spokane International Airport (2:45 drive to Walla Walla) can be reached via multiple airlines.
- Meeting attendees will be on their own for all meals.
- The Marcus Whitman Historic Hotel has "Complimentary Delicious Hot & Healthy Breakfast", as well as the Marc Restaurant--named “Restaurant of the Year” by the Washington State Wine Commission.
- There is a cafeteria within walking distance of the meeting location for lunch both days.
- May 5th: We expect most SC members will be arriving the night of the 5th, and suggest that folks meet informally in the lobby or dining facilities provided by the Marcus Whitman Hotel.
- May 6th: Social “mixer” led by Kevin Scribner (Salmon Safe) and Tom Riley ( Blue Mountain Land Trust).